Home >> Buyers Guide  
I am an NRI. Can I procure a home loan for buying property in India?
You are eligible to get a home loan if you are:

- An Indian resident or NRI
- Above 21 years of age at the time of the commencement of the loan
- Below 65 when the loan matures
- Either salaried or self employed
Who is a non-resident Indian (NRI)?
An Indian Citizen is deemed as a non-resident if he stays abroad - for employment/carrying on business or vocation outside India or - under circumstances indicating an intention for an uncertain duration of stay abroad.

Persons employed by the U.N. organisations and officials deputed outside India by Central/State Governments or Public Sector undertakings on provisional assignments are also considered as non-residents. While being considered for certain facilities, non-resident foreign citizens of Indian origin are treated at par with non-resident Indian citizens (NRIs).
Who is a person of Indian Origin?
For the opening and maintenance of bank accounts and investing in shares/securities in India:

A foreign citizen (other than a citizen of Pakistan or Bangladesh) is considered to be of Indian origin, if, he, at any time, held an Indian passport, or - he/ either of his parents/ any of his grandparents were citizens of India by virtue of the Constitution of India or Citizenship Act, 1955 (57 of 1955).

Note: A spouse (other than a citizen of Pakistan or Bangladesh) of an Indian citizen/ a person of Indian origin is also treated as a person of Indian origin for the above stated purposes, provided the bank accounts are opened/ investments in shares or securities in India are made by such individuals only jointly with their NRI spouses.

For investments in immovable properties: A foreign citizen (other than a citizen of Pakistan, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, or Nepal), is considered to be of Indian origin if, he held an Indian passport at any time, or he/ his father/ paternal grandfather was a citizen of India by virtue of the (Constitution of India or the Citizenship Act, 1955 (57 of 1955).

Is it necessary that I consult an advocate?
It is always advisable that you consult a competent advocate before going ahead with the purchase of a property. It always helps to consult someone who is up to date with property laws in India, even if you are thorough with your information.

Nri Buying Info

About Us    Properties    Projects    Media    Buyers Guide    Career    Downloads      Technology    Contact   Home

Call Us: 022 - 67611999 (8 lines)
Email Us: [email protected]
© Charisma Group